Office Trailer Permit


Section 3103 of 2012 Int'l Building Code - Temporary Structures

Permit Application

Required information /paperwork to pull Permit

  • Address (if it is an apartment/ duplex need to the know the unit), if applicable
  • Proof of ownership/ Landlord Consent
  • Letter of Authorization to pull permits if you are not the Contractor on the Contractor’s Card or Owner of property
  • Contractor’s license (state and local) card
  • Detailed scope of work with the cost of Materials and labor work on letterhead showing signature of contractor and owner
  • Is this office trailer permanent/ temporary? If so, How long will it stay on the property?
  • Master Permit number if applicable

Application Process for Commercial Construction

All Building applications begin in the Zoning Department.

  • Building application filled with completed information (owner name, owner’s contact information, and contractor’s name, contractor’s information, contractor’s state license, and engineer’s name, engineer information, signed and dated.  Address if applicable)
  • Accurate and scaled plot (site) plan that provides intended use, location of property line, parking spaces (9’x19’ with 24 ft. two-way aisles), landscape and buffering plan (zone buffers, if applicable), interior lot landscaping, undisturbed wetland buffer (jurisdictional wetlands) if applicable, plant schedule, shared parking agreement if applicable, traffic impact analysis for parcels five acres or greater, lighting plan including light fixtures, building elevation, dumpster screening (8 ft. opaque divide- wood privacy fence with finished side facing outward),  sidewalks along right-of-ways, tree survey 8” dbh or greater, show all existing and proposed building structures and setback include dumpsters, generators, etc.
  • Encroachment permit for any easements that exist
  • MS4 approval letter from public works
  • Zoning Inspection required of tree barricades prior to receiving zoning approval

Please call (843) 740-2582 if you have any questions.

*Zoning will forward all information with application to the Building Department for their review.

Paperwork Commercial Examiner in the Building Department will need including the information listed above. 

  • Application signed and approved by the Zoning Department
  • Engineered Stamp Drawings in compliance with 2012 IBC and all applicable codes. Submit one (1) hard copy (size 24 x 36) and one (1) electronic copy in pdf format on CD.
  • MS4 from Public Works
  • 2009 International Energy Conservation Code information (Comcheck report for building envelope, mechanical, exterior and interior electrical lighting systems).
  • Elevation Drawings and Certificate
  • Detailed scope of work with job cost amount
  • Special inspection statement and schedule including the qualified inspection agency.

Please call (843) 740-2566 if you have any questions.

*Plans Examiner will contact correct party once the permit is ready.


For inspections contact appropriate inspectors located on Building Department Staff Directory.

  • Monday – Friday 8:00 am -9:00 am for the same day inspections
  • Monday – Thursday 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm for the next day inspections

Types of Inspections

  • Footing- Inspected by Building and Zoning Department prior to any concrete pour.
  • Slab- After any plumbing and electrical slab inspections
  • Floor Framing- Prior to sheathing
  • Rough- After sub trades have had their rough inspection
  • Sheathing- After rough inspection and prior to insulation inspection
  • Insulation- After insulation is put in place
  • Final

Posting of Permit

Work requiring a permit shall not commence until the permit holder or his agents posts the permit card inside a permit box in a conspicuous place on the premise.  The permit shall be protected from weather and located in such position as to permit the Building Official or representative to conveniently make the required entries thereon.  No work can be done until a permit is issued.  The permit cards shall be maintained in position by permit holder until the certificate of Occupancy or Completion is issued by the Building Official.  Inspection(s) will not be done by an inspector if the job site is missing permit drawings and a permit box.

The following are required inspections: If an inspection is not called for whether rough, final, etc. you are subject to lose City or State license.  This includes all new construction, renovations and roof work (must provide a ladder). 

The permit holder must call in his/her own inspections unless an authorization letter has been sent prior to the Building Department from the sub-contractors/ owner giving general contactor the okay to call in their work.


City of North Charleston | Copyright © 2014 | All rights reserved. | Site Map | Connect | Employee Directory

Web Design by BlueKey in Charleston, SC