The Planning and Zoning Department monitors growth and development within the city and works to provide communities and businesses with information to help sustain the local economy. To sustain long-term growth in key parts of our city the Department of Planning & Management reviews demographic trends, capacity for growth, reviews the US Census statistics and works on information to assist everyone’s needs.
At the core of any planning activity are the neighborhoods and North Charleston is home to many diverse neighborhoods. The Planning Department seeks to strengthen communities, enhance their capability to work with the city, and identify needed neighborhood improvements through the creation of neighborhood driven plans.
- Safeguard the character of the neighborhoods maintaining a clear edge between the adjacent communities.
- Assess and preserve the historic value of properties, and natural values.
- To enhance the economic vitality of the City of North Charleston.
- Anticipate and address the housing needs of all City residents.
- Keep people and structures out of harm’s way.
- Monitor local transportation issues such as traffic congestion and intensity of dependence on the different transportation modes.
- Planning the future zoning and its innovations.
- Keep updating the Master Plan.
- Monitoring the City incorporating policies and practices.
- Citizen involvement in present and future City issues.
The Planning Commission is an advisory body made up of eight appointed citizens of the City who meet to hear rezoning requests, subdivision variance requests and to review subdivision plats.
Planning Commission meetings are held at 6:00 pm in the 2nd Floor Conference Room at City Hall on the 2nd Monday of each month.
Planning Commission Monthly Agenda
Planning & Zoning is located in the One Stop Shop on the 3rd floor of City Hall at 2500 City Hall Lane
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm