Reginald L. “Reggie” Burgess was elected as Mayor of the City of North Charleston in 2024, serving as the the chief elected and administrative executive of the city government. North Charleston operates under the Mayor/Council form of government.
The Mayor’s elective duties
- Acts as the symbolic leader of the city.
- Officially represents the city at various events, meetings, and functions.
- Leads in engaging and informing the public on key issues.
- Gathers and mobilizes community support for city projects.
- Proposes new laws and policies to the City Council.
- Promotes initiatives for the city’s physical, economic, social, and cultural growth.
- Oversees the operation of all city departments.
- Develops and presents the annual budget and investment plans to the City Council.
- Provides regular financial and progress reports to the City Council.
- Coordinates with federal entities and elected officials.
- Has the authority to hire, suspend, or dismiss city staff and designate administrative officers.
- Handles the negotiation and resolution of legal claims based on recommendations from the city’s legal advisors.
Contact the Mayor’s Office at (843) 740-2504 or via email at [email protected].
Meet the mayor
Reginald L. “Reggie” Burgess
January 2024 – Present
Reginald L. “Reggie” Burgess, a native of North Charleston’s historical neighborhoods Union Heights and Liberty Hill, is a man of dedication and diverse achievements. His early love for sports led him to excel in track & field, baseball, football, and basketball during his youth, with football emerging as his true passion. Reggie’s prowess on the field earned him a full scholarship to Morgan State University, where he shone as a wide receiver for the Bears. His college career was marked by numerous accolades, including Sporting News Division 1-AA All-American honors, a spot on the Historical Black College Sports All-American 1st Team, and multiple All-MEAC selections. Despite his aspirations for the NFL, life had other plans, and Reggie returned to South Carolina, embarking on a distinguished law enforcement career.
Joining the North Charleston Police Department in 1989, Reggie’s commitment to justice and community service propelled him through the ranks. His roles ranged from Patrol Officer, DARE and GREAT Officer, to various investigative and supervisory positions, reflecting his versatility and leadership skills. By 2018, he reached the pinnacle of his police career as the Chief of Police for North Charleston, a testament to his dedication and expertise. His journey didn’t stop there, as on January 2, 2024, he was inaugurated as the Mayor of North Charleston, marking a new chapter in his service to the community.
Reggie’s educational pursuits complement his professional journey, holding a dual Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice and Sociology from Claflin University and completing advanced training at the Southern Police Institute, the Senior Management Institute for Police, and the US Secret Service Academy. These experiences reflect his commitment to continuous learning and excellence.
Guided by his mother’s wisdom, “to thine own self be true,” Reggie balances his professional endeavors with a rich personal life. He cherishes his family, including his wife Tracy Riggins Burgess, his high school sweetheart, and their two children, Reggie II and Kristen. A lifelong member of Royal Missionary Baptist Church and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated, Reggie embodies a deep commitment to his faith and community. His story is one of resilience, leadership, and unwavering dedication to public service.