The City of North Charleston provides a variety of public facilities and services for the benefit of its residents. These include public safety, education, recreation, and community facilities.
- City residents and property owners are served by 3 City police precincts, 2 County sheriff’s offices, 11 City and one (Dorchester County) fire stations. The Charleston County jail is also located in North Charleston.
- Areas of the City are located in either the Charleston County or Dorchester D2 school districts. Included in these are 20 elementary schools, 4 middle schools, 3 high schools, and 8 specialty/magnet/charter schools. Ten private schools are also located within the City.
- Two main college campuses are located in the City of North Charleston: Charleston Southern University and Trident Technical College. In addition Clemson University and College of Charleston satellite campuses, as well as 6 for-profit universities are within the City limits.
- Residents have access to 15 community centers, as well as 29 parks and playgrounds, and two senior centers. The golf course in Wescott is City-owned.
- A number of community facilities are under construction or expansion:
- A Regional Aquatic Center and 3-gym complex are under construction
- Charleston County has 2 future park sites within the city to be developed in addition to its operation of the Cooper River Marina and Ashley River boat landing
- Plans are underway for a new park near Kings Grant, redevelopment of a portion of Park Circle for accessible baseball field and ancillary facilities, renovation of the auditorium at the Old Chicora School as a community space
- Other facilities being planned include: A trail system along Noisette Creek , expansion of Riverfront Park across Noisette Creek , passive parks, improved access to both the Ashley and Cooper Rivers
- Are there adequate safety facilities (police or fire) in general or in the vicinity of where you live or work?
- Are there enough recreation opportunities, indoor and outdoor, near your home or work?
- Are there adequate educational facilities for you or your family, including libraries, museums, and playgrounds?