The City of North Charleston Mayor and Council will hold a Public Hearing on Thursday, June 11, 2020, beginning at 7:00 P.M. in Council Chambers, Third Floor, North Charleston City Hall, 2500 City Hall Lane, North Charleston, South Carolina, for the purpose of considering the PRIME North Charleston 10-Year Comprehensive Plan, including all appendices and exhibits, which addresses all of the planning elements required by Chapter 29 of the South Carolina Local Government Comprehensive Planning Enabling Act of 1994 as follows: population, housing, economic development, cultural and natural resources, community facilities, land use, transportation, and priority investment areas.
“First and foremost, PRIME North Charleston will be a roadmap for the future of the City that is developed by the community as a whole,” North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey said. “The planning process invites meaningful dialogue to develop a shared community vision for all of North Charleston. The community also has multiple opportunities to come together and participate in this conversation about all of the elements that will make PRIME North Charleston.”
PRIME North Charleston Public Open Houses
Tuesday, Feb. 18
North Charleston Transit Center
4565 Gaynor Ave.
Wednesday, Feb. 19
Wescott Park Community Center
9006 Dorchester Rd.
Miner Crosby Community Center
3901 Paramount Dr.
Tuesday, Feb. 25
Gussie Greene Community Center
2008 Success Street
Wednesday, Feb. 26
North Charleston Athletic Center
5794 Casper Padgett Way
The City of North Charleston launched an update of its Comprehensive Plan in October of 2018 and hosted five public open houses at the following facilities:
- Senior Center at Dorchester Road, 6255 Dorchester Road
- Wescott Park, 9600 Dorchester Road
- Gussie Greene Community Center, 2012 Success Street
- Senior Center at Northwood, 8708 Antler Drive
- Felix Davis Community Center, 4800 Park Circle
Other opportunities to participate were provided at more than a dozen events, including community festivals, football games and farmers markets, as well as a one-stop project website www.primenorthcharleston.com that provides up-to-date information on the plan and allows for 24-7 input.
The City of North Charleston is seeking more input based on the feedback that gave and was incorporated into the Community Engagement Plan. The Community Engagement Plan can be found HERE. Please take some time to review the Community Engagement Plan and then respond to the survey questions which will run between March and May. The schedule for questions will be as follows:
Question 1 – March 20 through April 1, 2019
Questions 2 & 3 – April 2 through April 15, 2019
Questions 4 & 5 – April 16 through April 29, 2019
Questions 6 & 7 – April 30 through May 13, 2019
Questions 8 & 9 – May 14 through May 27, 2019
“PRIME North Charleston, while spearheaded as a task for the Planning Commission, is a shared responsibility and privilege for all of the citizens. The process of developing the Comprehensive Plan will be open to the public, engaging, and collaborative,” Summey said.
WHO IS INVOLVED
- North Charleston Citizens: The whole community has the opportunity to provide input that will inform the Plan. Residents are instrumental in developing a shared vision and providing input on each element.
- Community Stakeholders: Groups of individuals and agencies that provide specialized expertise in defined areas, such as economic development and education, will be engaged to inform the writing of PRIME North Charleston.
- Planning Commission: A primary responsibility of the Planning Commission is to manage the research, development, and review of the Plan, which is reviewed every 5 years for necessary revisions and fully updated every 10 years. The Commission endorses the final product (after at least one public hearing), but City Council approves the final Plan (through ordinance process).
The City has retained the Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester-Council of Governments (BCDCOG) to provide technical and long-range planning expertise in the development and writing of PRIME North Charleston in coordination with the City’s Planning and Zoning Department Staff.
ABOUT PRIME NORTH CHARLESTON
PRIME: A point in time. A thing of importance. To make ready.… PRIME North Charleston is the update of the City’s Comprehensive Development Plan that seeks to transform Bright Ideas into Bold Actions. Through citizen and stakeholder input, and deep technical planning expertise, PRIME North Charleston will produce a long-range, strategic plan, serves as a roadmap for the 20-year future of the City. Stay up to date on the plan at www.primenorthcharleston.com or contact us at [email protected].