The namesakes of the former Bonds-Wilson High School, Dr. J. R. Bonds and John T. Wilson are described by their former students as dignified gentlemen.
Dr. Bonds graduated from South Carolina State College and began teaching in 1927. In 1936, he joined the staff of the Cooper River School District and in 1946 was selected as Supervisor of District Four.
After a stint in the US Army, MSgt. John Wilson earned his degrees at Allen University and South Carolina State before rising to the role of Principal of Six-Mile High School.
Due to their stature in the community and pivotal rolls in the educational field, in 1950, the school was named in honor of both dedicated educators.
The school was attended by African-American children until its integration in 1971, drawing students from the surrounding areas and the Charleston Air Force Base. Bonds-Wilson closed in 1985. The school was located in the Liberty Hill community where Charleston County Academic Magnet and School of the Arts stand today.