The City of North Charleston seeks additional public input to solidify its Comprehensive Plan throughout February.
The Plan, titled PRIME North Charleston, is a document that provides the framework for elected officials, appointed officials, and staff to implement policies that realize the community’s vision.
PRIME North Charleston addresses nine key elements essential to the city:
Population Changes Economics Cultural Resources
Natural Resources Community Facilities Housing
Land Uses Transportation Priority Investments
- Feb 18: North Charleston Transit Center, 4565 Gaynor Ave, 5-7 pm.
- Feb 19: Wescott Park Community Center, 9600 Dorchester Rd, 5-7 pm.
- Feb 24: Miner Crosby Community Center, 3901 Paramount Dr, 5-7 pm.
- Feb 25: Gussie Greene Community Center, 2008 Success St, 5-7 pm.
- Feb 26: North Charleston Athletic Center, 5794 Casper Padgett Way, 5-7 pm.
“Through robust public input, PRIME North Charleston has developed to reflect a shared community vision for all of North Charleston,” said North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey. “As we prepare to adopt the 10 year plan, we urge the community to thoroughly review the document.”
Over the last 15 months, five open houses were held, dozens of stakeholder group interviews occurred, nearly 1000 participated in an extensive online survey, and the project team conducted outreach at community events.
WHO IS INVOLVED:
- North Charleston Citizens: The whole community provided input to inform the Plan. Residents have been instrumental in developing a shared vision and providing input on each element.
- Community Stakeholders: Groups of individuals and agencies that provide specialized expertise in defined areas, such as economic development and education, were engaged to inform the writing of PRIME North Charleston.
- Planning Commission: A primary responsibility of the Planning Commission is to manage the research, development, and review of the Plan, which is reviewed every 5 years for necessary revisions and fully updated every 10 years. The Commission endorses the final product, but City Council approves the final Plan (through ordinance process).
The City retained the Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester-Council of Governments (BCDCOG) to provide technical and long-range planning expertise in the development and writing of PRIME North Charleston in coordination with the City’s Planning and Zoning Department Staff.
ABOUT PRIME NORTH CHARLESTON
PRIME: A point in time. A thing of importance. To make ready.… PRIME North Charleston is the update of the City’s Comprehensive Development Plan that seeks to transform Bright Ideas into Bold Actions. Through citizen and stakeholder input, and deep technical planning expertise, PRIME North Charleston will produce a long-range, strategic plan, serves as a roadmap for the 20-year future of the City. Stay up to date on the plan at www.primenorthcharleston.com or contact us at [email protected].