After 10 months of construction, North Charleston opened its newest community center located on Paramount Drive. In June 2013, the small, dated Miner Crosby Community Center was demolished to make way for a new 3,100 square foot facility more suitable for the needs of the surrounding neighborhoods.
The Miner Crosby Community Center will be utilized for afterschool programs during the school year, summer camps during the summer months, as well as civic meetings and special events year round. The building will also be available for private rentals by citizens and organizations.
A community garden will be established adjacent to the community center and playground. Youth participating in programs at the facility will plant and tend to the garden. Blackwell True Value Building Supply, located at 1279 Yeamans Hall Rd in Hanahan, SC, will be donating all materials and seeds for the community garden.
The tennis courts at the facility will also be resurfaced, which has been funded by South Carolina Parks, Recreation, & Tourism.
The community center is named in memory of the late Miner Crosby. After fighting for his country during World War II, he returned home to the Charleston area to join his family automotive business. Miner was a mainstay in Charleston area public service during the second half of the 20th Century, and a mentor for many aspiring office-bearers. He was elected to Charleston County Council in 1960, serving eight years and sitting as Vice Chairman for several years. Afterwards, Miner sat on the North Charleston Public Service District Board, acting as Chairman for 12 years. Miner passed away on March 16, 1994.