City seeks to transform Bright Ideas into Bold Actions beginning with public outreach throughout October
The Plan, titled PRIME North Charleston, is a document that provides the framework for elected officials, appointed officials and staff to implement policies that realize the community’s vision.
PRIME North Charleston will address nine key elements essential to the city:
- Population Changes
- Cultural Resources
- Natural Resources
- Community Facilities
- Land Uses
- Priority Investments
“First and foremost, PRIME North Charleston will be a roadmap for the future of the City that is developed by the community as a whole,” North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey said. “The planning process invites meaningful dialogue to develop a shared community vision for all of North Charleston. The community also has multiple opportunities to come together and participate in this conversation about all of the elements that will make PRIME North Charleston.”
The City will host five public open houses throughout North Charleston in October:
- Senior Center at Dorchester Road, 6255 Dorchester Road, 4:30-7 p.m.
- October 16, 2018: Wescott Park, 9600 Dorchester Road, 4:30-7 p.m.
- October 22, 2018: Gussie Greene Community Center, 2012 Success Street, 4:30-7 p.m.
- October 23, 2018: Senior Center at Northwood, 8708 Antler Drive, 4:30-7 p.m.
- October 25, 2018: Felix Davis Community Center, 4800 Park Circle, 4:30-7 p.m.
Other opportunities to participate will be provided at more than a dozen events, including community festivals, football games and farmers markets, as well as a one-stop project website www.primenorthcharleston.com that provides up-to-date information on the plan and allows for 24-7 input.
“PRIME North Charleston, while spearheaded as a task for the Planning Commission, is a shared responsibility and privilege for all of the citizens. The process of developing the Comprehensive Plan will be open to the public, engaging, and collaborative,” Summey said.
WHO IS INVOLVED
- North Charleston Citizens: The whole community has the opportunity to provide input that will inform the Plan. Residents are instrumental in developing a shared vision and providing input on each element.
- Community Stakeholders: Groups of individuals and agencies that provide specialized expertise in defined areas, such as economic development and education, will be engaged to inform the writing of PRIME North Charleston.
- Planning Commission: A primary responsibility of the Planning Commission is to manage the research, development, and review of the Plan, which is reviewed every 5 years for necessary revisions and fully updated every 10 years. The Commission endorses the final product (after at least one public hearing), but City Council approves the final Plan (through ordinance process).
The City has retained the Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester-Council of Governments (BCDCOG) to provide technical and long-range planning expertise in the development and writing of PRIME North Charleston in coordination with the City’s Planning and Zoning Department Staff.
ABOUT PRIME NORTH CHARLESTON
PRIME: A point in time. A thing of importance. To make ready.… PRIME North Charleston is the update of the City’s Comprehensive Development Plan that seeks to transform Bright Ideas into Bold Actions. Through citizen and stakeholder input, and deep technical planning expertise, PRIME North Charleston will produce a long-range, strategic plan, serves as a roadmap for the 20-year future of the City. Stay up to date on the plan at www.primenorthcharleston.com or contact us at email@example.com.