HomePublic WorksStormwater Permitting and Management

Stormwater Permitting and Management

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has established regulations requiring states, counties and cities, including the City of North Charleston, to develop and implement a Stormwater Management Program to protect our waters from pollutants generated by stormwater runoff.  The City of North Charleston has implemented a Stormwater Management Program consistent with the Federal Clean Water Act and South Carolina Pollution Control Act.

Stormwater Permitting

The City’s NPDES Stormwater Discharge Permit requires the City to develop, implement, and enforce a program to reduce pollutants from stormwater runoff from construction activities that result in land disturbance.  Most land disturbing activities in the City require a Stormwater Permit.  The City has developed guidance in the form of a Stormwater Permitting and Design Manual.  The manual is available through the link provided below.

Related Information

City of North Charleston:
Stormwater Permitting & Design Manual (Updated May 2019)
Stormwater Management Ordinance
Stormwater Management Plan

External Links:
Ashley Cooper Stormwater Education Consortium
EPA NPDES Stormwater Information

Stormwater Utility Fee

Like many other jurisdictions, the City of North Charleston established a Stormwater Utility Fee to fund the Stormwater Management activities of the City.  The following documents relating to the Stormwater Utility are available online:

Ordinance 2002-094 – Ordinance creating the Stormwater Utility
Ordinance 2018-031 – Current Stormwater Utility Rate Ordinance
Fee calculation – Information sheet on how the fee is calculated

Adjustment Applications

Multi-Family Residential – Form to request adjustment of fee for Multi-Family Parcel
Non-Residential – Form to request adjustment of fee for Non-Residential Parcel

Applications for Credits

Stormwater Pond Credit – Application for Credit for Stormwater Ponds.
Self-Contained System Credit – Application for credit for self-contained systems.
Educational Credit – Application for credit for accredited educational facilities.

Impervious Area Mapping

Impervious Area Mapping – Visit the City’s GIS site to view the impervious delineation on your non-residential property.