The City of North Charleston Police, Fire, Code Enforcement and Building Departments who united as public safety professionals in an effort to reach out to the community that we serve, is proud to present the Citizens Public Safety Academy. This program is designed to bring awareness to the many aspects of public safety. During this 10 week program, every citizens will receive an inside look at what Police Officers, Firemen, Code Enforcement Officers and Building Inspectors encounter on a daily basis. This promises to be an exciting hands-on experience for all.
To participate, complete the application
and release of liability below.
What is the Citizens Public Safety Academy?
The various departments that serve as public safety professionals within the City of North Charleston has found that education has been most effective in gaining understanding and support from the community. The Citizens Public Safety Academy offers citizens insight into how public safety professionals perform their duties as well as how they serve their community.
Mission of the Academy
The purpose of the Academy is to foster better communication between citizens and public safety professionals of the City of North Charleston through education. The Academy will create a nucleus of well-informed citizens who possess greater insight to public safety professionals’ practices and services.
Our goal is to create a better understanding, communication and partnership between the citizens and public safety professionals through education, in order to establish a safer community.
- Introductions / selection of training
- 20 applicants per session (possibly expanding to 25 with next session)
- Code Enforcement (Health and Sanitation)
- Building Department (Building Inspections, Permits and Property Maintenance)
- Fire Department ( Emergency Response, Fire Fighting and Inspections)
- Police Department ( Emergency Response, Laws, Arrests, Search & Seizure and Use of Force)
Who may attend the Academy?
- Any interested citizen who resides or works in the City of North Charleston is encouraged to attend. Citizens involved with the North Charleston Community in some way, such as youth involvement, neighborhood watch, and neighborhood groups are very important to the Academy.
- Citizens 18 years of age or older.
- Citizens with no prior felony convictions.
Benefits of attending
When residents take a more personal interest in their city, and the safety and protection of their community and neighborhoods, they will enjoy a safer relationship with their neighbors. Upon completion of the course, graduates receive a diploma, academy T-shirt, and a class photo. This will provide the graduate with a sense of ownership and accomplishment that will be recorded in the history of the City of North Charleston annals for many years to come.
When is the Academy?
The Citizens Public Safety Academy will be held two times a year: Spring and Summer.
- Spring Session: March 1, 2016
- Summer Session: September 6, 2016
Apply to the Academy
Police Headquarters Training Unit
2500 City Hall Lane
North Charleston, South Carolina 29406
PFC Micheal Cardaronella
Sgt. Andrew Glover