North Charleston operations returned to normal operations on Monday, May 11. The public is permitted access to North Charleston City Hall with strict guidelines. However, citizens are still highly encouraged to interact with city departments and employees online and by phone.
Citizens entering City Hall:
- Face covering must be worn at all times within City Hall. BRING YOUR OWN MASK. Those refusing to comply will not be granted access to City Hall, and those who remove their face covering will be escorted out of the facility.
- Sanitizer stations are located throughout building.
- Community Centers, and the Fire Museum remain closed to the public.
Parks and Recreation
Parks, green space, trails, dog parks, disc golf course, fishing piers, and picnic shelters will reopen on Monday, May 11 with the following restrictions:
- Social distancing is required (immediate family groups excluded)
- Group gatherings are prohibited (unless amended by Governor’s orders).
- Fenced in locations (i.e. dog parks) will have a limited capacity. Those capacities will be posted at the entrance of each location and will be enforced.
- Danny Jones Pool will reopen for LAP SWIMMING on Monday, May 18 with guidelines.
- All outdoor athletic facilities (baseball/softball/football fields, basketball/tennis courts, roller hockey rink, etc.) will reopen for general use/practice. No games!
- All playgrounds will reopen for public use. We will not be sanitizing playgrounds, so please know that users are doing so at their own risk.
- Northwoods Pool will reopen. Schedule is Lap Swim – Monday-Friday: 1-2; Open Swim – Monday-Saturday: 2-7; Sunday: 2-5 (Collins Park Pool is still under construction and will reopen as soon as possible).
- Youth Summer Basketball Registration opens – registration sites are Armory Park, Athletic Center, City Hall, Northwoods, Wescott (hours vary by site). Parent info sheet is attached. Registration runs through June 13.
- Community Centers Rentals may resume on Saturday, June 6. Group size is maximum of 50 or 20% of max capacity for building, whichever is less. Attached is a list of all building capacities for rentals. Please note – we are not doing any rentals at sites that are hosting summer camp until camp is finished for the summer. If any group wishes to cancel their rentals, we are issuing full refunds with no cancellation fee through the month of July (may extend further, if needed). In addition to their contract, renters will have to sign COVID-19 waiver for rentals (see attached).
Athletic Center will reopen for open gym. Schedule TBD. (Danny Jones still under construction and will reopen as soon as possible)
- Summer Camp Begins! No additional activities in any community center hosting summer camp.
- Adult sports may resume following COVID-19 guidelines
- Outdoor athletic games may resume
- Youth Summer Basketball Practices may begin
- Youth Summer Basketball Games may begin
Municipal Court opens June 1.
- Face covering must be worn at all times within City Hall. BRING YOUR OWN MASK.
North Charleston Emergency Management continues to monitor the Coronavirus/COVID-19 and advises citizens to take precautions to limit the potential spread of the virus. Please continue to heed all advice from the CDC and SCDHEC.
CARES Act funding now available
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is providing funding to the Charleston County Community Development Department from the CARES Act to be used to prevent, prepare for, and respond to the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19). The County received Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds in the amount of $1,090,016 and Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) funds in the amount of $535,900. These funds are now available, and citizens can contact the organizations listed below for assistance. Citizens must meet HUD eligibility requirements to receive assistance and must live outside the City of Charleston (the City receives its own HUD funding).
Emergency Financial Assistance (rent, mortgage, utility assistance)
- Charleston Trident Urban League: 843-769-8173
- Humanities Foundation: 843-284-5109
- Origin SC: 843-628-2301 or https://originsc.org/homeless-prevention/
- James Island Outreach: 843-762-3653 or email@example.com
- East Cooper Community Outreach: click hereto find the application or call 843-416-7120 and please leave a detailed message.
- Charleston Area Senior Citizens – Meals on Wheels of Charleston: 843-722-4127
- East Cooper Meals on Wheels: 843-881-9350 or ecmow.org
- Lowcountry Food Bank: 843-747-8146 ext. 100. Partner agencies and drive-thru distributions are being developed, updates can be viewed here: https://www.lowcountryfoodbank.org/findhelp/
Prescription Assistance (for uninsured individuals)
- East Cooper Community Outreach: 843-416-7145
Legal Services (including evictions)
Individuals/Families Experiencing Homelessness
- One80 Place received funding for rapid re-housing and shelter. For individuals and families currently experiencing homelessness, please complete a brief survey at https://lowcountrycoc.org/get-help. If you don’t have access to the internet, please call 843-737-8357
- Origin SC received funding for hotel/motel stays: 843-628-2301 or https://originsc.org/homeless-prevention/
The DHEC Care Line is 1-855-472-3432.
Staff is answering general questions about COVID-19 from 8 am to 6 pm weekdays.
You can also reference the sites below.
The SCDHEC website link, updated with state and national information as it becomes available:
The CDC website also provides information to address COVID 19 specifics
FAQ for Travelers
Cases in the US
Confirmed Case Locations
SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan Emergency Advance
Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce
South Carolina Chamber of Commerce