North Charleston raises ALL Police Officer Salaries
(Use this application for ALL Police Officer/Community Service Officer positions)
The Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records (SF180), used to request information from military records.
You may apply by mail or in person. Applications may be obtained from the Human Resources Department at 2500 City Hall Lane, between the hours of 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday or by calling (843) 740-2597.
P.O. Box 190016
North Charleston, SC 29419
2500 City Hall Lane
North Charleston, SC 29406
Fax (843) 745-1048
The City of North Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Contact our Recruitment Team
|Sgt. Ralph Draper
Police Department Employment Procedures
Once your application is returned to City of North Charleston Human Resources, located at 2500 City Hall Lane, North Charleston SC, 29406. The application is forwarded to the Police Department Personnel Screening Office.
- Candidates must be 21 years of age.
- Must be a United States Citizen.
- Must possess a valid South Carolina Drivers License.
- Candidates must have a good employment history and credit history ( No Defaulted Student Loans, No Civil Judgments and acceptable police record)
- Candidates must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Candidates must be in good physical and mental condition.
- Candidates are required to undergo a polygraph exam, physical, drug screen and psychological evaluation.
- Candidates must complete a 4 week in-house recruit class and a 12 week police academy class in Columbia, SC
- Certified Officers from out of state will be required to provide copies of training curriculum and transcripts.
- Candidates are required to submit to a physical agility test.
- Candidates are required to take a reading/vocabulary exam
- Any conviction of driving under the influence, driving under suspension or leaving the scene of an accident ( without explanation) within the past 5 years.
- Any conviction of crimes of moral turpitude.
- Any conviction of criminal domestic violence.
- Any intentional falsification during the interview or application process, or failure to appear for any scheduled appointment.
- A dishonorable discharge from the military.
- Any felony convictions.
- Use of cocaine within the past three years; any past use of LSD; PCP or marijuana in the past one year. Any selling of illegal drugs.
- Any theft from former employers or shoplifting since the age of 17
- Any admission of criminal activity that has gone undetected or any admission that would bring discredit to the North Charleston Police Department.
For further questions please call the North Charleston Police Department Recruitment, Screening and Background Investigation office at (843) 740-2505 or (843) 740-2892.
What tips can you give me for completing the application?
- Ensure that the information on the application is current and legible. Be sure to write in ink. Resumes can be accepted with a completed City application. If you would like to apply for more than one vacancy, please list all in the “Positions Applied For” space. Remember that the appearance of your application will reflect your interest in the position.
- Ensure that the dates, salary information, addresses, phone numbers and references are correct.
- If there is a question regarding your reasons for leaving a position, be prepared to answer openly and honestly. References are checked with current and previous employers, so it is best to address your reasons on the application.
- Find out as much about the job being posted and how it relates to your background experiences. Refer to the job advertisement for this information or the job description that is available in the Human Resources Department.
- Don’t assume the reviewer will understand the relevance of work experience without a clear explanation of the work you performed. Therefore, it is important to specify your experience as it relates to the position for which you are applying.
- Don’t forget to include any special coursework, computer software training or current licenses or certificates that may help you qualify for the position.
- List references that can attest to your job-related qualifications.
- Answer all questions honestly. Omitting or falsifying information (i.e. convictions, academic, or work experience) that substantially misrepresents your candidacy will lead to discharge.
When will I hear from your office regarding the status of the position?
All applications received will be screened. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring department will contact you, giving specific instructions.
If I am selected for the position, what will happen?
An offer of employment will be made. Employment is contingent upon successfully passing a pre-employment drug screening and background check.