In addition to this application, a SC Department of Transportation Previous Employer Form must be picked up from the Human Resources Department at City Hall.
Equipment Operator II must have a SCDL – CDL Class A license.
Equipment Operator I must have a SCDL – CDL Class B license.
All applicants applying for the Equipment Operator position must have a Previous Employment Testing History for U.S. Department of Transportation Covered Employees form filled out by your previous employer. If you cannot obtain a copy of this form from your previous employer one may be obtained from Human Resources.
You may apply by mail or in person.
P.O. Box 190016
North Charleston, SC 29419
2500 City Hall Lane
North Charleston, SC 29406
Fax (843) 745-1048
What tips can you give me for completing the application?
- Ensure that the information on the application is current and legible. Be sure to write in ink. Resumes can be accepted with a completed City application. If you would like to apply for more than one vacancy, please list all in the “Positions Applied For” space. Remember that the appearance of your application will reflect your interest in the position.
- Ensure that the dates, salary information, addresses, phone numbers and references are correct.
- If there is a question regarding your reasons for leaving a position, be prepared to answer openly and honestly. References are checked with current and previous employers, so it is best to address your reasons on the application.
- Find out as much about the job being posted and how it relates to your background experiences. Refer to the job advertisement for this information or the job description that is available in the Human Resources Department.
- Don’t assume the reviewer will understand the relevance of work experience without a clear explanation of the work you performed. Therefore, it is important to specify your experience as it relates to the position for which you are applying.
- Don’t forget to include any special coursework, computer software training or current licenses or certificates that may help you qualify for the position.
- List references that can attest to your job-related qualifications.
- Answer all questions honestly. Omitting or falsifying information (i.e. convictions, academic, or work experience) that substantially misrepresents your candidacy will lead to discharge.
When will I hear from your office regarding the status of the position?
All applications received will be screened. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring department will contact you, giving specific instructions.
If I am selected for the position, what will happen?
An offer of employment will be made. Employment is contingent upon successfully passing a pre-employment drug screening and background check.
The City of North Charleston is an Equal Opportunity Employer.