Becoming one of North Charleston’s Bravest
Specific requirements to becoming a North Charleston firefighter:
- Be at least 18-years-old
- Obtain a valid SC driver’s license
- Pass a background check
- Pass a drug screening
- Have a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Pass the JRPAT (Job Related Physical Ability Test) in under 8.5 minutes
- Pass the reading skills comprehension exam
Once the application has been processed, and when there are sufficient applicants, the department will begin the hiring process. Each applicant must meet all the above requirements to be considered a firefighter candidate.
About the JRPAT
The recommended Applicant Exercise Routine includes the following:
- Jog 5 minutes 20 half-squats: Looking straight ahead, bend at the knee unit knees are at 90 degree angle. Return to start. Keep your back straight and move slowly throughout the motion.
- Jog another 2 minutes
- 20 push-ups Jog two minutes
- 20 Triceps-dips: Place hands behind back onto a stable chair or bench with your legs extended in front of the body. Slowly bend at elbows until upper arms are parallel to the ground. Return to start.
- Jog two more minutes 20 squat thrusts: Begin standing with feet parallel. Bend at knees and place hands on floor in front of body. Simultaneously hop back with feet to go into a push-up position. Perform 1 push-up. Hop back to squat position, stand. This is one rep.
- Jog 2 minutes Repeat items 2-10
- Jog 5 more minutes