Address Coordination

The Planning and Zoning Department is responsible for administering the Uniform Street Numbering ordinance that requires all primary structures carry a four-digit address consistent with the city’s Official address grid.

House Numbering

A four (4) digit street number must be visibly displayed, in numbers at least three (3) inches in height on all residences, and at least four (4) inches in height on all businesses, in the City of North Charleston. The lack of a four (4)-digit number correctly posted may delay:

  • Emergency services to your home
  • Mail delivery
  • Telephone service
  • Electrical service
  • Cable service
  • Water hookups

The numbers shall be made of a durable and clearly visible material and shall be in a contrasting color from the building. The following is not acceptable:

  • Handwritten with ink, magic marker or spray paint
  • Script (cursive writing)
  • Stenciled

When numbers are assigned to a house or building, the owner, occupant, or agent shall place or cause to be placed upon each house or building. The costs of the numbers shall be paid for by the property owner.

The numbers shall be conspicuously placed immediately above, on or at the side of the proper door of each house or building so that the number can be seen plainly from the street line. The following is not acceptable:

  • Numbers placed in yard
  • Numbers placed on fence
  • Numbers placed on poles
  • Numbers placed on tree
  • Numbers placed on window seals

Whenever any house or building is situated more than fifty (50) feet from the street line, the number must be placed near the walk, driveway or common entrance to such building and upon a mailbox, gatepost, fence, post, or other appropriate place so as to be easily discernible from the street line. For more information or questions, contact Cheryl Fuller at (843) 740-2627 or email your request at [email protected].

Non-Compliance of Addressing

Non-compliance with this ordinance constitutes a misdemeanor and subjects you to a fine not exceeding $1,025.00 or to an imprisonment for a term no exceeding thirty (30) days.

Street Name Change Procedures

Requests for street name changes may be made to the Planning and Zoning Department. In order to have a street name changed, it must be approved by the Planning Commission. For more information you may contact Cheryl Fuller at (843)-740-2627 or email your request at [email protected].