All Building applications begin in the Zoning Department. Please call (843) 740-2582 if you have any questions.
- Building application filled with completed information (owner name, owner’s contact information, and contractor’s name, contractor’s information, contractor’s state license, and engineer’s name, engineer information, signed and dated. Address if applicable)
- Plot (site)plan that reflects the proposed building, driveways, a/c units, steps, porches, patios, drainage easements and building setbacks (including roof overhangs) along with protected tress 8” dbh or greater is required.
- Display accurate setbacks on site where the property and house corners are located
- Provide a tree summary that indicates the total number of trees protected on the site, the total number of trees under the footprint of buildings and driveways, and of the remaining trees, the total number of trees you are proposing to cut. Please note that the actual tree canopy is required to be shown on the drawing and that inch for inch replacement is required for the removal of grand trees. Place and “X” mark to indicate tree removal and circle to reflect removal. *If there are no trees on the site, please advise accordingly.
- If sidewalks were shown on the final plat at the subject site, please show them on the site plan.
- Please indicate the building height. Example: Building height 25 ft.
Zoning will forward all information with application to the Building Department for their review.
Paperwork Commercial Examiner in the Building Department will need including the information listed above. Please call (843) 740-2566 if you have any questions.
- Application signed and approved by the Zoning Department
- Engineered Stamp Drawings in compliance with 2012 IBC and all applicable codes. Submit one (1) hard copy (size 24 x 36) and one (1) electronic copy in pdf format on CD.
- MS4 from Public Works
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code information (Comcheck report for building envelope, mechanical, exterior and interior electrical lighting systems).
- Elevation Drawings and Certificate
- Detailed scope of work with job cost amount
- Special inspection statement and schedule including the qualified inspection agency.
Plans Examiner will contact correct party once the permit is ready.
Posting of Permit
Work requiring a permit shall not commence until the permit holder or his agents posts the permit card inside a permit box in a conspicuous place on the premise. The permit shall be protected from weather and located in such position as to permit the Building Official or representative to conveniently make the required entries thereon. No work can be done until a permit is issued. The permit cards shall be maintained in position by permit holder until the certificate of Occupancy or Completion is issued by the Building Official. Inspection(s) will not be done by an inspector if the job site is missing permit drawings and a permit box.
The following are required inspections: If an inspection is not called for whether rough, final, etc. you are subject to lose City of State license. This includes all new construction, renovations and roof work (must provide a ladder).
The permit holder must call in his/her own inspections unless an authorization letter has been sent prior to the Building Department from the sub-contractors/ owner giving general contactor the okay to call in their work.
For inspections contact appropriate inspectors located on Building Department Staff Directory.
- Monday – Friday 8:00 am -9:00 am for the same day inspections
- Monday – Thursday 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm for the next day inspections
Types of Inspections
- Footing – Inspected by Building Department prior to any concrete pour.
- Slab – After any plumbing and electrical slab inspections
- Building Final
- Zoning Final
- Electrical rough, if applicable
- Electrical Final, if applicable
Required documents to pull permits
- Building Application completed (owner name, owner’s contact information and Contractor’s name, information and license information)
- Address (if it is an apartment/ duplex need to the know the unit)
- PHOTO ID
- Proof of ownership/ Landlord Consent
- Letter of Authorization to pull permits if you are not the Contractor on the Contractor’s Card or Owner of property
- Contractor’s license (state and local) card
- Detailed scope of work with the cost of Materials and labor work on letterhead showing signature of contractor and owner
- Master Permit number if applicable