If you are doing any repairs or renovations to a mobile home you must obtain a building permit. Please go to New Residential to get an application.
Application Process for Mobile Home
- Building application must be submitted online. Fill out application completely. Please do not forget lot number.
- Accurate scaled plot (site)plan that reflects the proposed mobile home, driveways, heat, a/c units, steps, porches, patios, drainage easements, easements (proposed and existing), property lines and building setbacks (including roof overhangs and house corners) along with protected trees 8” diameter at breast high dbh or greater is required.If sidewalks were shown on the final plat at the subject site, please show them on the site plan.If applicable, any easements that may exist along with encroachment permit(s) from the easement owner
- Title/ Bill of sale
Contractor will need the following documentation to pull permits
- Mobile home tracking ID# and /or address
- Photo ID
- State contractors card if applicable
- If they are not the license holder a letter giving them authorization to pull permit under that contractors name
- landlord consent
- Business license on file that is current and on file with the City of North Charleston’s Business License Department
* Moving decal permit(s) are issued through Charleston County *
For inspections contact appropriate inspectors located on Building Department Staff Directory.
- Monday – Friday 8:00 am -9:00 am for the same day inspections
- Monday – Thursday 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm for the next day inspections
Set up Inspections
- Final – mobile home
- Final – electrical (need and electrical permit)
Posting of Permit
Work requiring a permit shall not commence until the permit holder or his agents posts the permit card inside a permit box in a conspicuous place on the premise. The permit shall be protected from weather and located in such position as to permit the Building Official or representative to conveniently make the required entries thereon. No work can be done until a permit is issued. The permit cards shall be maintained in position by permit holder until the certificate of Occupancy or Completion is issued by the Building Official. Inspection(s) will not be done by an inspector if the job site is missing permit drawings and a permit box.
The following are required inspections: If an inspection is not called for whether rough, final, etc. you are subject to lose City or State license. This includes all new construction, renovations and roof work (must provide a ladder).
The permit holder must call in his/her own inspections unless an authorization letter as been sent prior to the Building Department from the sub-contractors/ owner giving general contactor the okay to call in their work.