Electrical Safety Permit Process
Only a licensed electrician and a Residential home Builder can obtain an electrical permit.
- An electrical application completed in full including, owner’s name, owner’s contact information, and contractor’s name, contractor’s information, contractor’s state license.
- Proper zoning for the intended use is required prior to receiving zoning approval (verification through the Planning and Zoning Department).
- Prior to receiving Zoning approval for mobile home parks, multi-family development and rental property owner managers must have a current business license on file with the City of North Charleston’s Business License Department.
Contractor will need the following
- Electrical Application ID # and /or address
- Photo ID
- State contractors card
- If they are not the license holder a letter giving them authorization to pull permit under that contractors name
- Master permit if applicable
- Landlord’s consent
- Signed Contract indicating scope of work, cost of materials and labor
- Need to know how long the power has been off
If State Contractor license is expired no permits can be issued. If local contractor’s card has expired a fee of $40.00 must be added to the permit and new card will be given.
For inspections contact appropriate inspectors located on Building Department Staff Directory.
- Monday – Friday 8:00 am -9:00 am for the same day inspections
- Monday – Thursday 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm for the next day inspections
Types of Inspections
Posting of Permit
Work requiring a permit shall not commence until the permit holder or his agents posts the permit card inside a permit box in a conspicuous place on the premise. The permit shall be protected from weather and located in such position as to permit the Building Official or representative to conveniently make the required entries thereon. No work can be done until a permit is issued. The permit cards shall be maintained in position by permit holder until the certificate of Occupancy or Completion is issued by the Building Official. Inspection(s) will not be done by an inspector if the job site is missing permit drawings and a permit box.
The permit holder must call in his/her own inspections unless an authorization letter has been sent prior to the Building Department from the sub-contractors/ owner giving general contactor the okay to call in their work.