Application Process for Accessory use
Accessory uses to include but not limited to sheds, garage, pools, etc.
Please attach the following information below with the application for review.
- Building application must be submitted online. Please fill out completely.
- Accurate and scaled Plot (site)plan that reflects the proposed building, driveways, a/c units, steps, porches, patios, drainage easements, property lines and building (existing and proposed) setbacks (including roof overhangs) along with protected tress 8” dbh or greater is required.Display accurate setbacks on site where the property and house corners are located.
- Homeowners/ civic league/ architectural review board approval letter if applicable.
- Drawings each page must be signed and sealed by in compliance with 2015 IBC and all applicable codes.
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code information (Comcheck report for building envelope, mechanical, exterior and interior electrical lighting systems) if applicable.
- Elevation Drawings and Certificate if applicable.
- Special inspection statement and schedule including the qualified inspection agency.
Required Documents to Obtain Permits
- Building Application tracking ID #and/or address
- Photo ID
- Landlord Consent
- Letter of Authorization to pull permits if you are not the Contractor listed on the Contractor Card or Owner of property
- Contractor’s License ( state and local card)
- Signed Contract indicating scope of work, cost of materials and labor
Posting of Permit
Work requiring a permit shall not commence until the permit holder or his agents posts the permit card inside a permit box in a conspicuous place on the premise. The permit shall be protected from weather and located in such position as to permit the Building Official or representative to conveniently make the required entries thereon. No work can be done until a permit is issued. The permit cards shall be maintained in position by permit holder until the certificate of Occupancy or Completion is issued by the Building Official. Inspection(s) will not be done by an inspector if the job site is missing permit drawings and a permit box.
The permit holder must call in his/her own inspections unless an authorization letter has been sent prior to the Building Department from the sub-contractors/ owner giving general contactor the okay to call in their work.
Online request http://arc.northcharleston.org/contractors/index.php
For inspections contact appropriate inspectors located on Building Department Staff Directory.
Please DO NOT leave inspection request on voicemail.
- Monday – Friday 8:00 am -9:00 am for the same day inspections
- Monday – Thursday 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm for the next day inspections
Types of Inspections
- Footing– Inspected by Building Department prior to any concrete pour.
- Slab– After any plumbing and electrical slab inspections
- Floor Framing- Prior to sheathing
- Rough– After sub trades have had their rough inspection
- Sheathing– After rough inspection and prior to insulation inspection
- Insulation– After insulation is put in place