Becoming one of North Charleston's Bravest
Specific requirements to becoming a North Charleston firefighter:
- 18-years-old Valid SC driver's license
- Ability to pass a background check
- Ability to pass a drug screening
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Pass the JRPAT (Job Related Physical Ability Test) in under 8.5 minutes
Download an employment application here.
Once the application has been processed, you will receive a confirmation note from the department. When there are sufficient applicants the department will hold a JRPAT test. You will receive notice of the schedule for the test.
About the JRPAT
The recommended Applicant Exercise Routine includes the following:
- Jog 5 minutes 20 half-squats: Looking straight ahead, bend at the knee unit knees are at 90 degree angle. Return to start. Keep your back straight and move slowly throughout the motion.
- Jog another 2 minutes
- 20 push-ups Jog two minutes
- 20 Triceps-dips: Place hands behind back onto a stable chair or bench with your legs extended in front of the body. Slowly bend at elbows until upper arms are parallel to the ground. Return to start.
- Jog two more minutes 20 squat thrusts: Begin standing with feet parallel. Bend at knees and place hands on floor in front of body. Simultaneously hop back with feet to go into a push-up position. Perform 1 push-up. Hop back to squat position, stand. This is one rep.
- Jog 2 minutes Repeat items 2-10
- Jog 5 more minutes